Chief of Party (COP) at nCompass LLC
EnCompass LLC is a women-owned, small business consulting firm working in International Development, and offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 200 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe. We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.
EnCompass LLC seeks Chief of Party (COP) candidates for an anticipated five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID) monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) support activity to be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
The Tanzania MEL activity will provide USAID/Tanzania with strategic and technical support to improve performance management and advance Mission learning. The project will provide comprehensive MEL services, including capacity strengthening and technical support, to USAID/ Tanzania, local organizations, and potentially the Government of Tanzania.
In addition to providing overall leadership, management, and technical direction, the COP will have experience working in performance management, organizational development, strategic decision-making, quality control, and project learning, preferably in the USAID context and with Collaboration, Learning and Adapting (CLA) practices.
We are looking for someone who can facilitate learning and build relationships, with high political acumen and strong conflict prevent and management skills. They must be an inclusive leader, who can navigate change with flexibility and emotional resilience. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience focusing on results and impact, with strong strategic vision and an understanding of systems approaches to programming. They will understand how to foster a culture of continuous improvement and learning and will maintain high self-awareness and personal improvement skills.
The position will be full-time and be based in Dar es Salaam with travel throughout the country.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
The COP will lead the activity, providing technical guidance to and supervising both international and national staff and consultants. The COP will be the primary point of contact with USAID staff, including the Contracting Officer and Contracting Officer’s Representation (CO/COR).
Essential functions include:
- Serve as the main point of contact for the activity, providing vision, direction, leadership, and management for the project.
- Provide technical, operational, and managerial oversight to all aspects of the program to ensure all activities, and deliverables are executed with quality and timeliness
- Establish and maintain highly collaborative working relationships with the Government of Tanzania, USAID/Tanzania and USAID/Washington as required, along with relevant in-country stakeholders; serve as the primary point of contact for USAID and as the principal liaison with USAID staff, institutions, and country partners to exchange information and develop professional relationships.
- Manage the country team, ensure technical capacity of staff; provide technical assistance and backstopping when required
- Ensure that all activities are undertaken in full compliance with EnCompass’ standard operating procedures, USAID policies and regulations, and national policies and laws.
- Ensure documentation and dissemination of findings, impact, innovations, and lessons learned.
- Ensure optimal use of human, financial, and physical resources to successfully meet project milestones, objectives, deliverables, and targets
- Responsible for the overall technical direction of the activity, ensuring quality and timeliness of all deliverables
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, linkages to other programs, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events, and providing administrative support to other team members as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a master’s degree in international development/studies, business, statistics, or a related field required
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in leadership roles on USAID-funded activities. Prior experience as a Chief of Party greatly preferred
- Strong experience with evaluation standards and practices required
- Experience working in performance management, strategic decision-making, and project learning
- Experience building monitoring, evaluation, and learning capacities of USAID staff, implementing partners, and government counterparts highly preferred
- Experience managing complex relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including host country governments at different levels; experience mentoring staff and working with international and national consultants and staff
- Substantial experience in managing a team using mixed research methods of similar magnitude
- Demonstrated leadership, strategic thinking/planning, management, and presentation skills required
- Working knowledge of and experience with USG-funded program management, policies, regulations, and procedures
- Prior experience managing staff/teams
- Strong familiarity with USAID CLA practices, M&E design, and principles
- Familiarity with USAID/ Tanzania Mission is preferred; local / regional candidates prioritized
- Former supervisory experience required
- Excellent communication skills in both English (written and verbal)
- Ability to travel within Tanzania, as necessary
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter and complete the application on the Careers & Consulting page of https://encompassworld.com